Getting Into A Creative Habit

Jorge Rivera-Herrans
Blog Post 1 - Getting Into A Creative Habit

This semester is especially stressful for me for a wide variety of reasons. For one, I find myself as the lead in the South Bend Civic Theatre's production of In The Heights, which is already taking about 12 hours of my week right now and even more once we start performing, but I'm also responsible for composing over 30 songs this semester for a very important musical I'm writing. On top of that, I'm trying to maintain good grades in my classes (all of which I'm finding difficult), and as I'm typing this I am currently waiting to see if I get a callback on another production I auditioned for. If there's anything I need to be able to do, it's get into a creative habit that is efficient and easy, as all that is important to me right now involves creativity.

Slowly but surely I think I'm getting into my own creative habit like the ones Tharp mentions. I sit at the piano in the chapel of my dorm and do a cover of a random pop song that is either fun to sing or stuck in my head. This causes me to automatically warm my voice, my mind, and my fingers up all at the same time. This is my ritual. After this, I open up my notes for the song I need to compose and then I start fiddling with words and medleys until something catchy sticks. Many times I will just write words, the essential message the song is trying to convey, whether they rhyme or not, and then focus on making the rhymes later.

The only problem is that I still haven't implemented this as a fully fledged habit in my semester so far. I need to be more disciplined and consistent, and hopefully sooner than later will I find my rhythm and get my creative ball rolling steadily.

Comments

  1. Sounds to me like you are making excellent progress on various levels, Jorge! As we say in French, "bonne continuation!" If I were you, I would get a nice big calendar to write all the deadlines on, and start making weekly lists of the most important things to do (long-term) and urgent tasks (short-term), and just keep on going. Limit input, as Tharp says, and do what needs to be done.
    From my experience, I'd say that the main things are: to remain focused, to trust yourself, and to consider saying "No" now and then. Or even withdrawing from one of those commitments, if it feels too stressful. You have the right to change your mind, after all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 11, Foreign Aid, Paternalism, and Africa

A tie in to my art talk and sending out hopeful messages

Billet de 20 francs-- Debussy