The Most Valuable Piece of Paper
When we were reading Blue White Read by Alain Mabanckou and the passage about Massala-Massala guarding the French housing permit it was thought provoking thinking about the idea of a piece of paper that we consider important in our lives. If I had to personally choose a piece of paper that I held dearly it would be my old high school and ID cards. Although it is not a singular piece of paper and more plastic than anything I have had these cards in my wallet since the summer before High School started when I participated in a summer accelerated program. The first has a picture of my right before high school and the second ID is right at the end of my Sophomore year. They seem like worthless pieces of plastic at first glance but for me they serve as records of my maturity throughout the years. Additionally, they are a way of remembering my high school and all the people that supported me throughout those four years of my life. Whenever I reflect on my current state in life and the opportunities that are in front of me by just being at a place like Notre Dame, it helps to look back to those ID cards in order to ground myself and give credit where credit is due.
The last two summers I was able to do service work first at a summer camp in the Bronx and then at an underprivileged high school in Newark New Jersey. It was during these times that looking at my old ID cards allowed me to recognize how similar the kids in front of me were to my picture in the card. The worthless pieces of plastic helped me realize the importance of providing the same support I received to the children in front of me.
Comments
Post a Comment