Fairy Tales Equal Life Lessons
Megan Nanovic- Blog Post One
Fairy tales are an accepted part of every culture and any people grow up hearing such stories. Looking back at old fairy tales or hearing new ones can cause a person to realize how strange these stories can be, but that does not stop people from enjoying and learning from the tales. While reading "The Old Woman Who Lost Her Dumplings," I was struck by how strange the story seemed to me, and then I thought about how strange some of the fairy tales that I grew up hearing about would seem to people that were not familiar with them. Once I realized this, I was able to focus more on what the point of the story was. From this story, I was able to gather that if you truly love doing something, then you can find your way back to it despite obstacles that you may face. At the end of the story, I noticed the connection to the first law of money because the woman did what she loved and money followed. Michael Phillips may argue that the old lady became rich because she did not go in search of money, and she did what she loved. This reminded me of talks that I would have with my dad. When I was a little kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would tell them I wanted to be a lawyer even though I did not really know what that meant at the time. I told people this because my dad is a lawyer and I wanted to be like him. Any time my dad heard me say his he would remind me that I could be anything I wanted to be as long as I was happy, and he continued to tell me this throughout my life. He wanted to make sure that I would follow my passions and not pursue any career for the wrong reasons. Today I still want to be a lawyer, but because of talks that I have had with my dad, I am confident in saying that I am pursuing a career as a lawyer for what I believe to be the right reasons.
Fairy tales are an accepted part of every culture and any people grow up hearing such stories. Looking back at old fairy tales or hearing new ones can cause a person to realize how strange these stories can be, but that does not stop people from enjoying and learning from the tales. While reading "The Old Woman Who Lost Her Dumplings," I was struck by how strange the story seemed to me, and then I thought about how strange some of the fairy tales that I grew up hearing about would seem to people that were not familiar with them. Once I realized this, I was able to focus more on what the point of the story was. From this story, I was able to gather that if you truly love doing something, then you can find your way back to it despite obstacles that you may face. At the end of the story, I noticed the connection to the first law of money because the woman did what she loved and money followed. Michael Phillips may argue that the old lady became rich because she did not go in search of money, and she did what she loved. This reminded me of talks that I would have with my dad. When I was a little kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would tell them I wanted to be a lawyer even though I did not really know what that meant at the time. I told people this because my dad is a lawyer and I wanted to be like him. Any time my dad heard me say his he would remind me that I could be anything I wanted to be as long as I was happy, and he continued to tell me this throughout my life. He wanted to make sure that I would follow my passions and not pursue any career for the wrong reasons. Today I still want to be a lawyer, but because of talks that I have had with my dad, I am confident in saying that I am pursuing a career as a lawyer for what I believe to be the right reasons.
Very interesting reflection on "The Old Woman," who became the source of a surprisingly heated discussion in last fall's CSEM! Some people argued the woman is ungrateful because, despite her situation working for the Onis, she wanted to leave; according to this logic, should have stayed there and continued working, instead of stealing their secret magical rice paddle and absconding with it. Others argued that her final vault into wealth was wrong because she benefited from selling rice that she did not work to create. The use of laughter and silliness was ignored by most everyone. I wonder what today's discussion will bring?! At any rate, your post also underlines the significance of what we do in CSEM, that is, sincere discussion about things that matter to us. It sounds like you already have the knack of that, thanks to your conversations at home. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete