Seven Laws of Money
Blog Post One Oscar Weng
No matter what we say about money, we have to admit that living without it is a nightmare. Some might argue that the seven laws by Michael Phillips are not really applicable to poor people, but after what I experienced last semester, I believe all can profit from this book.
I started to work on campus last semester and I tried to live on what I earn. It worked well the first few weeks, but when it comes to the second month, I began to spend my future salary. I justified my action by reasoning that I would receive my salary anyways and that there is no reason why I cannot spend my money in advance. What made the problem worse was that I never kept track of my money, so I never knew whether my expense and income balanced out. By the end of the semester, I ran out of money. Thanks to my meal plans, I was able to survive without starving myself.
After reading The Seven Laws of Money, I realized that one should never borrow from the future and must always keep track of the money. Despite that this book uses mostly examples of people who already had a fortune, it pointed out why some of us are poor. I would not have lived as an abstinent if I documented my personal financial statement. I would not have to struggle if I carefully planned how I should spend what I have instead of overgrazing from the future. These laws apply to all of us, regardless of our financial status.
Last but not least, we should all keep in mind that a right livelihood is far more important than money. Even for those of us who do not have the opportunity to make great contributions to the society or to deepen ourselves during our work, we should at least care more about our friends and family around us, and avoid becoming part of the fantasy.
Fascinating real-life reminiscences that reveal the power of Michael Phillips's laws numbers two and four. Thank you, mystery writer! Please sign your articles from now on, so we can all know who you are!
ReplyDeleteSorry about that, I thought my name would be automatically revealed. I would do that next time!
Delete