Life of a Wet-Nurse
While
all of the “Art Talks” that I was fortunate to hear were extremely interesting and
informative, I was particularly struck by Megan and Mia’s presentation on The Wet-Nurse. I have to admit that I had never heard of the
profession prior to the presentation, and I took longer than I would like to
admit to piece together exactly what the position entailed. However, as Megan and Mia explained the
context during which the sculpture was made and the system through which
wet-nurses such as the one depicted would have been able to earn their
living. I had no idea that there was
such a disinclination to breastfeed during that time among the wealthy class in
order to preserve their features and social lives, despite the encouragement of
doctors at the time to nurse the children themselves. Additionally, though I knew that infant
mortality was prevalent and seen as more natural of an event than we do in our
society, I did not expect to hear how little people thought of it, being that
in recent history it has been regarded as tragic.
Further, I was even more surprised
by what the wet-nurses themselves had to do to earn their livings. Being that the nurse was able to nurse
children, she must have had a baby and breastfed shortly before beginning her
work and therefore most likely either left her own small child to work or has
to take care of him while nursing the child of the wealthy family. Also, I wondered how a family, aware that
their newborn had syphilis, could send their child away knowing that he would
transmit the disease to the poor young woman.
Overall, I thought this was an appalling system, and although it helped
poor women in the countryside earn for their family, it seems like such sad
work when being taken away from one’s own family to submit her body to what
other women choose to pay to avoid.
Comments
Post a Comment