Respecting those with Dignity

Megan Nanovic- Blog 2

While watching the interview about dignity, I realized that dignity is not something that I have spent too much time thinking about in the past.  Once I started to really sit back and think about it, I realized that in my mind, dignity revolves around how a person acts.  If a person acts with dignity, he or she would act with a sense of confidence and that person should be true to him or herself.  Being true to oneself helps a person to act with confidence and it puts greater meaning behind what that person is doing.  People that act with dignity, no matter what their social standing is or the situation they are in, cause others to want to respect them.  When I was thinking of people I know who have acted with dignity, I thought of my boss during the summers.  I work at a public pool and all types of people come to enjoy the facility.  One family that frequents the pool has frequently caused problems for the pool staff.  This past summer my boss had to ask the family to leave due to their behavior.  Upon my boss's request, the family began cursing loudly at him and they posted several unkind things on the pool's Facebook page about the pool staff and particularly about him.  Despite the family's actions, my boss remained calm and acted respectfully towards the family.  He kept a level head in a stressful situation and onlookers could see that his resolve to have the family leave would not be diminished.  My boss acted with dignity during that situation and he earned a great deal of respect due to his actions.

Comments

  1. A useful insight; thank you. Even though people may forget a lot of things, we do tend to remember things like that--the way other people make you feel. Integrity can be "felt" and those who aim to inspire others should remember that. That positive feeling may be indirectly articulated or never articulated, but it will emerge at one point or another and help you succeed, if you truly follow a life of integrity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 11, Foreign Aid, Paternalism, and Africa

A tie in to my art talk and sending out hopeful messages

Billet de 20 francs-- Debussy