Optimistic Future
Ever since reading Robert Shiller’s Finance and the Good Society, I keep reflecting on his speech to finance graduates. As overly optimistic as I find his outlook on the future of finance, economics, and politics and how the graduates he was addressing are capable helping spark that change, I find myself thinking about what I hope to accomplish with my future. As an economics major, one potential career choice is to become a consultant for large corporations. However, Shiller’s book has contributed to my growing indecisiveness of what career path to follow. While it would be nice to have a six figure salary, I do not know if I want my main career goal to be finding ways of making businesses or corporations more profitable. Quite frankly, I have recently found myself thinking that that is not as worthwhile as helping improve the lives of people and making a lasting, positive impact on society. Shiller mentions that “Beyond compensation, the next generation of finance professionals will be paid its truest rewards in the satisfaction that comes with the gains made in democratizing finance – extending its benefits into corners of society where they are most needed”, and this quote makes me realize that the satisfaction gained from improving society is much more meaningful than the satisfaction received from monetary gain. However, while I do wish to help make a positive impact on society, the reality is that I must also find a career in which I can support myself and, potentially, a family. In the end, I must choose between creating a comfortable lifestyle for myself, selflessly helping others by providing my knowledge and skills, or finding a balance.
Manuel Arroyo
Comments
Post a Comment