A Certain Scene

A certain scene in Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead sparked controversy and caused uneasiness not only in the classroom but also in my heart. Sexual assault and rape are never easy matters to talk about, and so to read such a detailed scene where the victim of the rape is said to have “wanted” this “rapture” is even more confusing and hurtful to many. At one point in class, as we wondered whether these types of passages should be part of college curriculum, I knew my position on the matter: absolutely.
Sexual assault is real and very much still common in today’s world. While the rape scene in The Fountainhead might be insulting and hugely controversial for the time it was written in, it is still widely talked about today and I think it’s important for students to be able to open their minds to the fact that, as one student in the class pointed out, things aren’t that much different today. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if every single student in the class knows someone who has been sexually harassed, assaulted, or worse. This is a terrible part of the reality we live in.

I don’t think we should avoid passages like this in college curriculums. I think the more we raise awareness about the matter, the more steps we can take towards preventing it. Just like well-informed citizens when it comes to current events, we ought to be aware of what is going on around us, no matter how dark or painful it may be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 11, Foreign Aid, Paternalism, and Africa

A tie in to my art talk and sending out hopeful messages

Billet de 20 francs-- Debussy