Black Boy, Any Boy

I have always enjoyed stories that recall the simplicity and naivety that come with being very young. They allow me to remember the funniest events and moments from my childhood and they inspire me to create stories that involve having learned a lesson after an unexpected chain of events.

Black Boy resonated with me on a deep level. The way curiosity was too strong for the protagonist to follow the rules of the household is a feeling I believe we could all relate to at one point or another (and if not, then you either don’t remember or I don’t believe you had a childhood). This sense of curiosity and the need for adventure, the immediate “oh snap” feeling after realizing what you’ve done wrong and how you’ll be chastised for it… all of these sentiments brought to me a very strong nostalgia for what seemed to be simpler times.

It’s so easy nowadays to get caught up in the hum of everyday life and the never ending complications that seem to pile up with the act of growing up. The amount of all-nighters I’ve had to pull this semester is absurd and the number of times I’ve pointlessly worried about my future and where I’ll be in three years is almost comedic. It’s nice to sit back and just take in the simpler things, maybe to look back on memories that at the time were scary or life-changing but are now frivolous.


I’m glad we’ve reached the “reality check” portion of the class. It’s been a while since I think about this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 11, Foreign Aid, Paternalism, and Africa

A tie in to my art talk and sending out hopeful messages

Billet de 20 francs-- Debussy