Blue White Red Risk Wonder
If there’s one thing Masala-Masala and I have in common, it’s that we both have received very important and useful advice from our fathers, but both of us were either too naïve, caught up in certain events or moments, or just simply too stupid to follow it. Reading how Masala-Masala often remembers the final words his father gave to him before Masala left to France, “Be careful, keep your eyes open, and don’t act until your conscience – not someone else’s – guides you,” and how those words haunted him at the end of his journey hold a bitter feeling of “man I wish I had listened.”
There’s a certain gratifying feeling that comes with figuring something out yourself. Maybe this is why I’m so stubborn to figure things out my way instead of just adhering to the advice of my parents. Maybe this is why I always tend to learn things the hard way. I should really work on that.
But then again, there’s this sense of adventure that comes with taking risks and diving into the unknown. Masala-Masala had no clue what he was getting into when he was headed to France, but only after having those experiences was he truly knowledgeable about the happenings there. Yes, he underwent more struggle and suffering than he may have needed to, but at least he is now certain of what he would have missed had he stayed. On the other hand, why waste time and effort learning the lessons that can be taught to you by those who already had to endure struggles to learn it first, like our parents?
Comments
Post a Comment