Glimpses of "Roark" mentality in everyday life
Maybe we are all
more similar to Peter Keating than we thought. I know for sure that these past
couple of days I was frustrated by my complacency and lack of creativity. I sometimes
go with what is “mainstream” and this is completely against what Howard Roark
believes. I would like to note that I don’t particularly like Howard Roark and
everything that he embodies (I especially despise him for his lack of self-control
and violent nature, and would never forgive him for the rape) but I do admire
that everything he does is for himself. A couple of days ago I really was surprised
when I saw a glimpse of this individualism in my boyfriend. Today, when I see a
“Howard Roark” (a person who goes against the current and is super creative)
and get glimpses of him in real life (but not the abominable version with
twisted morals, rather the individualistic one) I am taken aback because more
and more I see how we function like Peter Keating more than anything.
My boyfriend just received
a job he greatly wanted that gives him great pay and was offered to him on
behalf of his talent in photography and skillset, and he also was able to hang
an exhibit in Riley Hall (art and design building) for one of his personal photography
projects. To me, those seemed like great accomplishments and I wanted to praise
and have my boyfriend be acknowledged for his achievements but he refused.
We were messaging back
and forth and he wrote to me: "we don’t have to [celebrate] babe...I don’t
want that. I don’t want you to celebrate that. I don’t want to be
celebrated...I just don’t see it as an accomplishment. It's just a thing I
wanted to do... I just want to do my own thing. I make stuff to impress myself
and that's it. I just don’t want other people to praise me for
that."
I had to respect his
wishes of course, but as I reread our texts I couldn’t help but think that he
sounded so much like Roark. His mentality was that he did everything for
himself not for others and to me that definitely embodies the idea of the
individual against the collective.
Here are a couple of quotes from the novel that
display this idea:
·
“I
don’t make comparisons. I never think of myself in relation to anyone else. I
just refuse to measure myself as part of anything. I’m an utter egotist.”
·
“A man’s spirit is his
self. That entity which is his consciousness. To think, to feel, to judge, to
act are functions of the ego”
·
“...Aren’t
they all acting on a selfish motive—to be noticed, liked, admired?”
“—by others. At the price of their own self-respect. In the realm of greatest importance—the realm of values, of judgment, of spirit, of thought—they place others above self, in the exact manner which altruism demands. A truly selfish man cannot be affected by the approval of others. He doesn’t need it.”
“—by others. At the price of their own self-respect. In the realm of greatest importance—the realm of values, of judgment, of spirit, of thought—they place others above self, in the exact manner which altruism demands. A truly selfish man cannot be affected by the approval of others. He doesn’t need it.”
·
“Personal
luxury is a limited endeavor. What they want is ostentation: to show, to stun,
to entertain, to impress others. They’re second-handers.”
·
“I
can find the joy only if I do my work in the best way possible to me. But the
best is a matter of standards—and I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I
stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of
one.”
·
“It’s
what I couldn’t understand about people for a long time. They have no self.
They live within others. They live second-hand. Look at Peter Keating….He’s
paying the price … In what act or thought of his has there ever been a self?
What was his aim in life? Greatness—in other peoples’ eyes. Fame, admiration,
envy — all that which comes from others. Others dictated his convictions… He
didn’t want to be great, but to be thought great. He didn’t want to build, but
to be admired as a builder. He borrowed from others in order to make an
impression on others.”
Comments
Post a Comment