Money Worries

            I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated on the first day of the semester as I sat in class, unfamiliar with most around me and being told to drop the class if I didn’t think that it would be a good fit.  Luckily for me, I knew that this was the opportunity I needed to have an excuse to reach outside of my comfort zone and try to push my limits in order to expand them.  This class has truly fostered a spirit of learning in a much different way than any of my previous classes have.  Instead of the fear of grades causing tunnel-vision and a superficial approach to class discussions in an effort to impress, I am lucky to have been surrounded each class by peers who bring creative ideas and genuine curiosity to each class, making the discussion more of an opportunity to learn from others than a chance to show what I know as an individual.
            I also feel lucky in that I have noticed a growth within myself as this course has progressed.  In my previous seminar classes and most of my high school classes, I observed the general sentiment of the class and the material that was being discussed before formulating my own opinions and deciding which of my own ideas would be well-received. However, after learning that this class aimed to escape the limits of most classes with regard to discussion topics and behaviors, I began to feel more and more comfortable in each class meeting sharing my opinions and what I believed to be right or wrong in society with regard to the ideas that the texts presented.  I hope to be able to carry this confidence and disregard for personal comfort in my future classes, especially with controversial topics that may have ethical dilemmas on either side.  Thanks to everyone for such a great experience in Money Worries!

            -Bridget 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 11, Foreign Aid, Paternalism, and Africa

A tie in to my art talk and sending out hopeful messages

Billet de 20 francs-- Debussy