Roark vs. Rivera-Herrans
While some of the decisions he made aren’t so characteristic of a good man, Howard Roark is nonetheless inspiring in his sheer unbreakable tenacity to do the thing he wants in the way he wants it: to make new, beautiful, modern buildings. I’m fascinated by the way he will not stand down and won’t allow his work to be changed or altered from his original view, no matter what the consequences. As a person who is writing a musical that will be produced by Notre Dame next spring, it is inspiring to see someone protect their work with their life.
One of the ways I can relate to Howard Roark is the fact that we are both very passionate about our creations and we both like to honor them in their original forms. However, I do have a lot to learn still and I am more willing to receive the input from others because at the end of the day, I do want my work to be not only mine, but I want it to be good. I guess part of what makes Howard and I different is that while his work is solely for his pleasure (he doesn’t make buildings to please anyone but himself), my work is made to entertain me but to also make a statement and to entertain others as well. Yes, I enjoy writing music and creating fun, catchy songs and memorable characters, but I also care about my influence on those who see my work.
Comments
Post a Comment